Monday 7 May 2018

Elche

Time to visit the towns and cities to the south. Valencians call Elche Elx, but that's not a big difference when you remember that x is pronounced like ch. It is close enough to Alicante that the two form a defacto conurbation. I first encountered Elche in my Spanish lesson that mentioned the Lady of Elche, a limestone sculpture from the 4th century. That's her in the mural. She's not in Elche now, but in Madrid.


It's easy to reach by suburban train, but when I arrived at the station I couldn't find the ticket machines and wasted time buying one at the counter, missing one service. Then I discovered the machines were near the platforms. Unfortunately the train was diesel and some of the fumes wafted in.


A notable feature of Elche is the world heritage palmeral, dating from Moorish times. Elche contains the only palm orchard system of its kind in Europe, and is one of the largest in the world. This is due to the affection of the locals for their palm trees, even though their agricultural importance has faded, partly for their cultural significance and partly for the microclimate they produce. The station entrance faces one grove.


Just down the road from the station is a public park wherein I spent a pleasant hour or so. This attractive fountain is near the entrance.


It's surrounded by rose bushes.


In pink too.


There was another keen photographer snapping away there too.


I like the shades on this one.


Date palms are wonderful trees and nourished civilisations in the fertile crescent.


A cool passage flanked by palms.


Interesting trunk patterns.


Water trough.


Gazebo.


The Moors would have loved this water play.


Dovecote and residents.


Some of them on the palm fronds.


Palms can reach great heights.


The fountain outside the grove.


The lush grove and colourful shades.


The Basilica of Santa Maria.


The townsfolk like palms in their city parks too.


The Lady features at the Congress Centre too.


Another view.


The Internet informed me that for lunch I should try the arròs amb costra and that the place to eat it was El Meson Galliner. There were lots of people picking up orders.


And this the main dish of what had. It came with salad and water. I added a coffee. Not the most delicious lunch I've had but sufficiently tasty and very filling.


After that I wandered around Elche for a bit before deciding to return to Alicante. I had time before the next service back so I looked in at the palm grove again.


I think this stand of 5 palms has a proper name. Notice the iron bands to support them.

And that was my small excursion for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment