Saturday 5 May 2018

Alicante 6 - Playa de San Juan

Another lazy day. Had lunch at El Corte Inglés again this time with a soft drink instead of the beer.


In the evening I walked to the Luceros station via the explanada, headed for Playa de San Juan.

This sculpture was erected in gratitude by pieds-noirs who had fled Algeria and were made welcome in Valencia.


There is a small plaza dedicated to the writer Gabriel Miró.


It was Saturday afternoon and people were out enjoying drinks and tapas.


I caught tram 4 from Luceros and got off at Plaza La Coruña. From there it was a short walk to the water.


Another anti-litter mural, this one featuring The Can Planter, of beer, of orange drink, of cola. On leaving, she leaves them naturally, born from practice.


Playa de San Juan is a very long beach aligned north south so there is a lot of room.


Looking towards the north, the lifeguard station.


Playground for kids.


Another one.


I walked all the way south to where Cap de l'Horta makes a corner separating this beach from the north-east to south-west orientation of Playa del Postiguet.


There seemed to be many retired people taking an evening walk. The beach is fronted by many apartment buildings.


That couple at the edge of the last photo is actually statuary.


The mountains of the hinterland in the golden setting sun.


A burst of warm sunshine.

Panorama of Playa San Juan



Instead of retracing my path to Plaza La Coruña, I decided to catch a different tram back, line 3 the coastal line, from Carabiners. Mind you I was only about halfway up Playa San Juan before the coast bends, but still lined with beaches and apartments.


This what one of the trams looks like. I thought my ticket was a zone ticket but something made me double check. The Internet informed me that only single trip tickets were sold, so I had to buy a ticket from the vending machine on the tram. It was also lucky that there were no inspectors on my tram.


Back in the city, the book fair was still running. This is a quote from Bronson Alcott, an American writer I had not heard of before: That is a good book which is opened with expectation, and closed with delight and profit. If the name Alcott sounds familiar, he was the father of Louisa May Alcott.


Evening at the other El Corte Inglés department store.

No comments:

Post a Comment