Tuesday 8 May 2018

Cartagena 1

We passed a lot of orange orchards going down the highway. The bus deposited us at a somewhat forlorn terminus that could have handled much more traffic. I had only to cross the road to reach my hotel, Los Habeneros which was named after a couple of brothers who had returned from Cuba. I was glad I had taken the bus as the train station was a little further out but still walking distance.

I checked into my hotel and freshened up before walking to the city centre.


Cartagena has existed for over two millennia and has some of the best preserved Roman ruins in this part of the world. On the way down to the water is this cross street. These are the remains of the dwelling of Salvio, a rich person.


There are also many buildings in the Art Nouveau style from the beginning of the 20th century, when fortunes were made from nearby mines.


An open air museum of a Roman forum.


Another lovely building, a bank now. This is on the main street, running parallel to the shoreline.

Cartagena's importance is due to the excellent defensive harbour, and today is still used by the Spanish navy.


Townsfolk having a paseo on the Calle Mayor.


Some street entertainment.


Venturing out of the central district, I found this naval facility.


Curious looking shades.


An old facade and modern building of the Polytechnic University of Cartagena.


Giant sculpture El Zulo in the port. It was created in 2009 in homage to victims of terrorism.


A salvage boat and distant hills.


Catamaran and marina.

Panorama of Cartagena harbour



The palm lined esplanade.

Another establishment named Mare Nostrum, Roman for Our Sea, i.e. The Mediterranean.


The National Museum of Underwater Archaeology.


The outside. Unfortunately I didn't have time to include this in my list of sights.


After an unmemorable dinner at one of the restaurants on Calle Mayor, I started back toward my hotel. On the way I stopped to watch them retiring the flag for the day at a government building.


Lots of attractive dining spots. And with that I called an end to the day's sightseeing.

No comments:

Post a Comment