Thursday 10 May 2018

Alicante 7 - 2 Museums

My last full day in Alicante so time to take in any sights I had not seen yet. I decided to visit two museums. The first was the Alicante Museum of Contemporary Art, just opposite the Basilica of Santa Maria in the old city.

As the letters indicate, it owes a lot to the artist Eusebio Sempere who is the major artist exhibited here. In fact I found his kinetic art works on the top floor more intriguing than the exhibits on the lower two floors.


The Fogueres museum is in the modern city and contains the past winners of the annual Fogueres de Sant Joan (Bonfires of Saint John) midsummer festival. They are giant figures made of wood, paper, and other flammable material, and represent fantastic beings or are parodies of people. At the end of the festival, all but the winner are burnt in a bonfire.

The museum is well worth a look especially as it's free to enter.


A late afternoon snack of a chocolate tart at El Corte Inglés..


A last evening look at the explanada. I would miss this relaxing place.


And a farewell to the Playa del Postiguet and the Castle of Saint Bárbara. I will be back some day.

No comments:

Post a Comment